Monday, July 14, 2014

Twists and Turns

What a week! Super super hot this week, all the old and wise of Tapachula said it would be because of the earthquake, and although that's something my brain doesn't understand they were right. It didn't rain all week which is unheard of at this time! So um anyway. 

Monday we had a great family home evening with V., the Fuentes kids and A., played a board game that went through the gospel steps of faith, baptism, etc. and led to la Vida Eterna, which was our beautiful and very burnt attempt at chocolate cake on the stove. It was a swell idea but man, nasty. But, being my mother's daughter, I rolled almost all 5's and 6's and stayed ahead of everyone the whole game.


A sad twist was V. She has been progressing so well and has the most beautiful heart, but told us this week that her parents changed their minds and denied permission. We worked with her all week, talking about faith and fasting and praying for a change in her parents' hearts, but finally Saturday night she told us she just didn't feel a desire anymore and didn't know why. She felt it was her answer that it's not her time right now but that she's going to keep coming to church and one day be baptized. That broke our hearts a little bit because she is our dear friend as well as investigator and one of the purest hearts I have met, but we're praying a lot for her and doing all we can. And when she told us, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace and really do feel like everything is going to be okay and that she will make it. We just don't know when. If you're wondering who to pray for this week, my friend Violeta could use a lot! 

Also this week we were praying lots to find people to bring to church because no one had given us a definite answer, or had and afterwards played the hiding game we love so much. We passed for everyone, contacted everyone in the street and invited them, and finally went emptyhanded but happy. Well about halfway through the service, in walks "I.". What??? All dressed up and smiling with his daughter who he's never brought before, and he came and sat right by us. We haven't seen him in weeks since he fibbed about moving and started sending grumpy messages to the members that have befriended him. So that was exciting. We're not sure what's going to happen with him but we're going to go see him today to see if there's anything we can do to help him with his drinking problem. It all depends on whether he's willing, but one way or another it was an unexpected surprise and I felt so happy he took a step on his own. 

I've been studying a lot about faith this week. I forgot my notes from today so I'll share a little more next week but I was reading the story of the brother of Jared and the faith he had to see the finger of the Lord. I love his words which I can't remember exactly, but I think the most powerful moment of faith he had was when he said "touch these stones." He first says he knows the Lord can do this, and many of us have this faith to acknowledge that the Lord has power to do all things, but how many of us have the faith to say "Touch these stones?" To not only believe that he CAN but have full faith that he WILL because we understand how much He loves us. That's something I want to develop out here. The faith to expect miracles rather than just wish for them. Because when we truly believe and expect these answers, we will change as well and work hand in hand with the Lord to help them come to pass. Anyway, hope that made some sense and I love you all!


p.s. This is called Rambutan. Or something. They're super fun. It's like eating grapes that are disguised as spikeballs and are fun to bounce around. Not that they bounce.

No comments:

Post a Comment