[Tapachula, Mexico. Monday, April 7, 2014]
This week was a good one! General Conference was WONDERFUL! We got
to attend all four sessions, and I almost understood! It was actually
really cool to listen in Spanish because I didn't understand all the
words as well but understood the messages, so the spirit could teach
more than usual. I don't know how to explain it. My notes are all
spiritual impressions rather than their actual words and it was very
special.
We invited the father of the family L. to come and
actually test it out, to see if there is something more to this church,
because we've been teaching them for so long and they're really not
progressing. He says all of our messages are bonito and he has good
desires but doesn't understand really that this is IMPORTANT and that
they've got to come to church. Every week we pass and they say they'll
come in five minute and don't. But we figured out the mother is really
what's standing in the way because she doesn't want to and he doesn't
want to go without her. So this week we invited him to come alone if he
needs to and take responsibility for his family. I think something
finally touched him because he thought for a long time and said he'd
come. We passed for him Saturday morning at 9, and he wasn't ready so we
said we'd come back in ten minutes. 30 minutes later he was in the same
place with sleeping kids and no wife home. He promised he'd come in ten
minutes and we left without much hope. But the messages of conference
were beautiful and about an hour in, who walks in the door but B.
and his two kids, all awake and dressed up! We were so happy, and the
moment after he entered, all the talks centered in families and the last
one by Elder Eyring specifically talked to investigators who had been
brought by the missionaries. He listened really attentively and I think
was actually touched. I told him since he missed the prophet he'd have
to come the next day too, joking, but he said he would! That was such a
special experience because we've been praying for them for so long and
we know angels were pushing him out the door. We'll see what happens.
Today we had a taxi driver who told us he wrote music
and began immediately to sing in a voice much like my grandpa Wilson's. I
just thought I would include that so he could know he has a copy in
Mexico.
We were really low on lessons again this week and
contacted a ton. It was hard to always know where to go but I learned a
lot about following the spirit and we met some really interesting
people. One time I contacted and she responded in English. You'd think,
this is perfect because I speak English. Turns out I don't anymore. It
was amazing how hard it was to only use American words and talk about
the restoration in this language. Whaaat? She was from Florida and had
already talked with the missionaries, read the Book of Mormon and
decided we were all crazy. It was kind of sad because she had desires to
help her children but didn't recognize it when it came.
But. General Conference wow right? I loved all the
talks, especially Elder Uchtdorf's that talked about having gratitude as
a part of who we are, not just being grateful for THINGS. It should be
part of our nature as it was Christ's. I know that as we try to be more
like Him we will find more than we've ever had and He will make more of
us. There was something so powerful to me about apostles quoting
passages of the Book of Mormon, verses I use every day. Apostles,
prophets, Book of Mormon, the Spirit, they all testify of each other,
and they ALL testify of Jesus Christ. He lives and He loves us and He
has done everything so that we can change and have help with our burdens
as Elder Bednar said! I love you and pray He will be with you all
throughout the week!
Hermana Wilson
[From Dad:]
Incidentally, the reason this blog post was delayed a week is that Linette and I (Randy) were on a cruise with some friends from our neighborhood. You may recall this artistic picture that Kelsi sent while at the MTC:
Hermana Wilson
[From Dad:]
Incidentally, the reason this blog post was delayed a week is that Linette and I (Randy) were on a cruise with some friends from our neighborhood. You may recall this artistic picture that Kelsi sent while at the MTC:
Well, we noticed that we had bought the same Speedo brand water shoes at Costco as our friends the Elmes, so of course I sent this picture to Kelsi:
No comments:
Post a Comment