Monday, November 17, 2014

My companion fell in a hole.

And we don't even have any pictures. You could call that a disaster. 

This week was crazy as you can imagine. First, on Tuesday we went to see J. at the L. family's house, and we taught him about tithing and everything went well for the lesson part. And then we started asking about his baptism and he went into his quiet shell and wouldn't talk the rest of the night; what made it worse was that the whole family was walking in and out of the room and talking way too much to him or about him, "We can't do it this time, we have a birthday party!" "How about tomorrow?" "J., I want to baptize you, can I baptize you?" and he got completely freaked out and then Brother Leon asked him if he even wanted to get baptized and he finally said one word: no. Brother L. thanked us for everything we'd done and said it just wasn't his time and just like that we were out the door and we were just like WAIT. Everybody just CALM DOWN. Because we had just talked to Jeremy two nights before alone outside their house and he had opened up to us at last and in his prayer prayed for his baptism and we knew he wanted it, he just got SUPER pressured. But we decided to give him some space and I knew if he felt ready he would come to church all on his own just like he's always done. 

As for K., she went from solid as solid, going to youth conferences and church on her own, friends with everyone, reading her book of Mormon every day, to a sudden not coming to church and not knowing what to do. We finally figured out that her friends are giving her a hard time about changing and she's not sure if she wants to change completely yet. Two weeks now she has promised us she'll be there and gotten all ready for her baptism, and then her friends convince her to go out with them Sunday mornings, I think on purpose. Silly girl. But one thing I've learned is that they have got to make the decision. That's the beautiful thing about God's whole plan, is that we get to make the decisions, choose everlasting happiness or misery, and we get to feel satisfied because we have done (and are doing) everything we can for her and really soon she's going to take that step and realize what's most important. So stay tuned!

So our triple baptism went back down to A., who's not going anywhere, he's got the mission president baptizing him for goodness sake. 

But THEN, it went back up because who showed up Sunday but J.! And when we were in the hall and hermana C was talking to a member I went up to him and asked him if he had made his decision yet, and he said yes. I asked him if he decided to get baptized, and he said "Saturday." Like, out loud! And then we figured out the time and I walked calmly back to my companion like nothing had happened, but I'll just tell you that it is so beautiful when people use their agency RIGHT! Because when we're dragging and dragging, nothing lasting happens. But when we back off and they come, they change because the spirit works inside them and without even knowing it, they are becoming more converted to the Lord by taking a step on their own in obedience. 

Now back to the title. We were walking along two nights ago with Hno Emanuel to go see an inactive brother. My companion was off jumping around a couple steps ahead (I don't think I've ever seen her stand still) and then she got really excited and did some half twirl-jump-thing to turn around and tell us something when she lands on a hole thing, does two more jumps backwards and then somehow lands on her back in the middle of the street with a sprained ankle. Like, WAY over there. It reminds me of something Jared would do. 

And then I'm there like, I'm in Mexico what do I even do, what's the 911 here, oh there isn't one, where are the members around here, oh there aren't any, and Emanuel is just uselessly like "I can't touch her! What do we do!" and Hermana is like "CALL SOMEONE, ON A SCALE OF 1-10 IT'S A 9!" and he goes running and comes back with three red cross workers (teenagers) in vests. Super comical, they were all march-running with a gigantic red bag ready for a huge emergency and it reminded me a little of Korean Soap Operas. And then they looked at it and said....just put ice on it, it's an inflamed tendon. We took a moto taxi to a member's house and hermana Isabela took her foot and started digging her palm into it and my companion was shouting like she was giving birth, but we were also all laughing. Yesterday I took a member out with me and she stayed home and today she's walking slowly again. So all is well, or soon to be. 

Anyway, THAT was a week. Never quiet over here :) But happy as always! 


Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment