That's right it's happened. The one thing we never expected or planned for when we embarked on our journey for Mexico. It. is. COLD. And I am sick. But not really I just like to cough a lot this week. It's been interesting, since between the two of us we have about 3 or 4 very light sweaters. But the goal today is find warm things they sell in Coita's limited markets.
But anyway. Other than that things are pretty normal. Just the Day of the Dead and people play loud harmonica-wide-vibrato-Mexican party music that floats into our house all through the night. But it actually wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. There's some people in gross masks, a few more drunks in the streets, bread baked in shapes of people with Xs over the eyes, and a few little families who go door to door for treats, but they do it on November 2, not Halloween, and it's mostly just the Catholics. Instead of "trick or treat" they shout "Calabazita Tía!" (Zucchini aunt?) and if you say we don't have anything, they shout "Que se muera la tía!" (I hope your aunt dies...) An investigator showed us just to show us, but then she did give them treats. Anyway, it was super cute. :) So there's your taste of dead week:)
So let me tell you about C. We've been teaching his mom, M., for a while. I don't remember if I told you this story so I will real quick--a month or so ago we met her and went to visit her that night and taught her on top of her roof. But then it started getting dark, but luckily we had our flashlight that we always use to explain the priesthood (you can't make your own LIGHT) and it was just wonderfully visual as we went through the dispensations of light, and then turned it off and it was all dark and you really do feel the need of a prophet or some sort of intervention. And then right as it really got dark, we started telling the first vision and turned the light on to the picture of Joseph Smith and the first vision, and it was SO COOL. It made it so real for all of us. Hopefully your imagination made that work :) Anyway, she was having a hard time getting to church and not making excuses, so we were trying to decide whether to drop her. But then we went this week and her son was there and he was just SO excited to learn about Jesus, he devoured all the pamphlets we brought, wanted to answer every question and come to church that Sunday. The next time we came, the first thing he said was "Are you still coming for me Sunday??" and then he showed us his colored drawing of the restoration. We taught them a lesson and then we told him we had a special invitation for him. "I already said I'm going on Sunday." No, this was more special. We showed a picture of Jesus getting baptized and talked about what baptism was and before we could even get the question out of whether he wanted to prepare he was shouting "YES! Yes." And we're like, hold on first you'll need your mom's permission "Mom, give permission!" And you need to go to church 5 times first "I'll go EVERY DAY." Super cute. He reminds me of [my foster brother], even though I haven't met him.
So there's a bit of my week, I love you all and hope you all had a happy Halloween. Something I learned this week was the importance of unconditional love. Sometimes it's hard to be a human in a world of humans because all we do is be imperfect and hurt each other. But something we all have inside of us is a piece of our Father in Heaven and the potential to do as Jesus did and turn outward when our natural tendency is to turn inward. When we are offended, hurt, or attacked, He is the only source to draw upon and He can fill us with the peace and love we need to react as He would and really make an impact on people's lives. Something I've learned here is that nothing is worth the spirit. Not being right, not being disobedient, not even our favorite sins.
So, that! I love you all a whole lot, I'm blessed to know some of the very best humans and have them in my life. So have fun being those! :)
Love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment