Awesome week! I haven't been able to work like this in I don't know how long! Hermana Caraballo loves to work efficiently like me and we got so much done. Holy new people. It seemed everywhere we walked they were just falling into our lap.
There was this one guy we contacted in his watch shop while searching for an address that wouldn't stop talking. We sang him a hymn and before we could even teach the first lesson he said "I want you to sing to my sick brother and my wife! Let's go!" And we're like, whoa, wait, um, hold on, don't kidnap us, and he said, okay, and so we all went in a taxi to his brother's house, where the entire family gathered around. They were the funniest people. The parents super Catholic but SUPER sweet, the kids devote to some other Christian religion, and they would all go silent as we spoke and listen. Then we sang "I know my Redeemer lives" and as we finished, they all start applauding. We're like....thanks. And there goes the spirit.
We ended up going back the next day and taking with us this CUTE old lady, Eulogia, from the ward. She's a 72-year-old widow who spends her days making visits and is only a little bit crazy. For example, right after the woman in the home finished explaining to us that she was Catholic and it was really important to her, Eulogia said in her cute squeaky voice, "Yes, the Catholic church is the whore of all the earth!" and I smacked my head with a pamphlet right then and there. But, I think she might be a little confused about the meaning of the word because in spanish it's "Ramera" which is close to the word "Rama" (branches) and she started talking about all the branches that came off the catholic church after that. But still. Last time we visited with her she said she had the priesthood and Lehi crossed the sea with Moses. But she's cute so wherever it won't do damage we like to take her. It was funny because the watchmaker, Rodolfo, basically acted like a member accompanying us, testifying to what we'd said, telling his family to change, and he still knew nothing about the church! I'm actually still really confused about him.
Then we're walking along one day and this man calls out to us and said we'd given him a card the other day and to come teach his family. So we went and taught them, and the mother cried during the hymn, "Families can be Together Forever." They're really sweet and confused and Catholic and we are hoping to bring them to an FHE tonight!
Then we had a referral from the other ward who accepted baptism and everything with it just like that! Super cute young mom. Just needs to get married!
Annnnd my companion is perfect. I decided we all just need more Dominicans in our life. They're so funny. They talk faster than Mexicans with a little twang to their accent and a WHOLE LOT of attitude. Hermana Caraballo is just perfect. The other day I told her that if I were a man I would marry her. And she said, "Hija, si fuera hombre no me gustara, es GUERA. Mm-mm." (Translation: GIRL, if you were a man I wouldn't like you, you WHITE. Huh-uh." I laughed so hard. She works so hard and the best parts of my day are when she smiles. Man.
Well, more stories to come, I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week! If you haven't, I invite everyone to read this month's Liahona It's full of beautiful stuff. I love how it talks about Family Home Evenings and it made me think of how they changed my life. Looking back now I realize it is one of the most important things in my life, that I had FHE every week and loved that. So if you want your kids to leave home and look back with gratitude and happy memories of time with you, HAVE FAMILY HOME EVENING EVERY WEEK! Bringing the spirit into the home is irreplaceable, and we know it's important because the family is basically all they talked about all conference!
Well, Love you all!!
Hermana Caraballo is from the Dominican Republic

No comments:
Post a Comment