So as a sum-up of the absolute CRAZIEST week of the mission:
We drove to Tuxtla with President and Hermana George on Monday, squished in with a bunch of luggage, their daughter, and one of the sick sisters, and THEN added in two elders who had a sudden problem with his appendix, which meant Hermana Grover, Kim and I ended up in the one available seat in the back and were laughing the whole way there. Meanwhile, we get calls that one of our girls in Comitan who's been having a lot of problems lately has run away! Oh! And her companion is in the mall and is freaking out. So we tell President, and he's like, Oh! And we spend the next two hours getting lost, calling a million people, sending for help down in Comitan which is two hours away, and driving in the opposite direction to Tuxtla. With the help of some ward members and missionaries they found her at about 9:30 that night. Holy cow. And we were basically on the phone most of the day trying to keep people calm.
Then we had a great council. Very inspired. My companion provided most of the comments in her very direct manner and took everybody off-guard a lot, but the assistants asked President why she wasn't made STL before because they were awesome. She scares people sometimes and she knows it but I don't know why, she's perfect. I think it's hilarious.
We got to go to the temple and I got to see Elder Merrill, and President was all surprised we were cousins (AFTER we took the picture) even though I've told him before, and then we found out that WE'RE cousins too! Turns out President, like many others, comes from Anson Call, and we got on FamilySearch and found his father from my account. So that was cool! He told his wife, "Sister Wilson's our cousin too!" And she lights up and opens her arms to me and says "Family!”
Then we went home, did a zone conference which went awesomely—we got lots of participation and taught about self-reliance and instigating it in investigators and in ourselves. Then since it went so well, we decided to go down to Comitan to their zone conference and help the girls out down there, even though it didn't make logical sense because we wouldn't have much time to be with both companionships and it was really far away. But we went! And it's a GOOD THING. Because everything crazy happened and we were in the right place to be able to help and now everything's calming down and it looks like we'll be in a trio for a little bit and wait for a new companion.
But let me tell you what I learned about self-reliance. This is SO KEY to EVERYTHING! It is the major focus in Mexico for this year from the Area Presidency. They talk a lot about "Autosuficiencia" because we need to help these people take responsability for their own conversion. So many depend so much on the missionaries. So we taught how to take responsability for ourselves and OUR conversion, and how to help investigators and members answer their own questions and solve their own problems. And that's what we'll be focusing on for the rest of ever I think, because it just makes so much sense and solves all our problems. Goodness.
Well, I enjoyed this week. Can't wait to start sleeping and working again, because we didn't do either of those things that week. But I have felt such a strength and ability beyond my own in everything we have done this week and I know we have not been alone one step of the way. I am so thankful for this gospel and for such a stellar family. Thank you for your faithfulness, happiness, and every other ness you have. I love you! Happy Mother's Day!!!!
Hermana Wilson (or half of her ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment