Wednesday, June 17, 2015

El Espíritu de Elías

WOOOOW. This week was so cool. We did...so much.

Starting with a conference and exchanges with Chenalho (Tzotzilandia) where we learned more Tzotzil, taught lessons in the rain, and as always felt like we were in the Shire.

After divisions, I brought Hermana Wong back to San Cris for exchanges and we had a day of HUGE success with 7 lessons with a member present as well as some others and a bunch of street contacts and lots of new people. It was so great. It's cool how when we have to spend time in other areas, the Lord blesses us returning home to be able to do double. Which was good because the next day we went and switched companions, and mine came home throwing up, so we were in home all day. I learned a. TON. Holy studies. I finally learned how I feel like and now I just wish I was studying...all the time.

Friday we were blessed with another double day and had 7 MORE lessons with a member present, and more other lessons and contacts. God loves us. We took a girl whose family is starting to go inactive with us and I silently prayed we could have miracles so she could feel the spirit and be encouraged, and WOW. In two hours we had 4 lessons, found new people in each one, and then leaving one lesson suddenly we're surrounded by a million children smiling at us expectantly, and I realized that the little girl from the first lesson to whom I'd given a CTR ring had rounded up the whole neighborhood. I'm like "WOAH I don't have any more rings! BUT... what's your name?" and we went around memorizing each one of their names and then asked them if they knew how to pray. They all said no and I'm like WHAT! God's not hearing from 9 of his children! Let's change that okay?" We went through the steps and they all repeated and then we all folded our arms and one of them said a prayer right there and everyone was so reverent. Then we left and they all ran after us and hugged us and followed us to the end of the street. It was beautiful. Joana (the girl accompanying us) was so excited and we got home and read with her and she made us promise to tell her when we'd go over there next time. Prayers are answered.

And then possibly the most beautiful part of this week was Saturday. Susy, the RS president, had found out that my dad works in FamilySearch and I know some things and asked me to help them with their activity to get everyone a name to take to the temple. It was supposedly from 12 to 2, but ended up not starting til 3 and not ending til 7 because of a stake activity at the same time. So we ended up helping with the stake activity first and we got to know all the women in the ward better. And then she put me at a computer and had me help sister after sister create their account and put in the information. I helped 72-year-old Eulogia--who thought it was the same thing as an email and why did she have to create another one--was so excited and we ended up finding the dates to get her grandmother to the temple and a few others. She left in tears and every time she saw us after informed us how she was looking through everything she had for names and that she had referrals for us and who knows what else. She's beautiful. I helped a few others and we were there all afternoon finding and creating. And then finally as everyone left and we're finishing up, Susy asks me to help her with some questions she had in her account. So we look and fix some things, and then I taught her how to add sources. In the process, we were looking for sources for her grandfather and suddenly found a record of him and his whole family, who she knew nothing about. At first she didn't understand what was happening but I told her, Look that's his mom! And she gasps, then freezes, then says "DON'T MOVE ANYTHING!" and starts scribbling everything on a paper. I showed her how to connect it to her account and create the new people and get them ready for the temple. We were both SO excited, it seriously felt like Christmas in that room and the feeling still hasn't gone away. I saw her in church the next day and we're just like "YEAAHH." I can't describe it, all I can say is that the spirit of Elijah has TOUCHED this ward and they are changing! We are ALL going to the temple in a couple of weeks with all the names we can get. We'll do what it takes to get permission because wow.

Lastly, we had an FHE with a little humble family yesterday that's always at church but always so quiet, and all reactivated about 3 or 4 years ago except for the teenage daughter who's been making other choices. When I first got here she didn't have much interest in us or anything, but I started talking to her and gave her the first lesson. Since then I've always sort of sought her out and asked how she's doing with the Book of Mormon. A few weeks ago she started quietly coming to church, and she would tell me that she's read a little bit. Yesterday in the FHE we talked about the plan of salvation and the atonement, and then at the end I felt this impression to end with a little testimony meeting and asked if they'd feel comfortable sharing their testimonies. They all said yes and the mom started. She's so sweet and humble. She cried a lot and talked about how hard it was to have a calling in Relief Society when she just wanted to be in the background but how the Lord has helped her and how she'll never leave the church again. When she finished we asked who was next and were surprised when M. (the daughter) said it was her turn. She looked at the floor, said "I don't know..." and then suddenly she was crying really hard. She told us she'd made a lot of bad choices but she felt so grateful to be going to church again and that she can renew her covenants and start over. I didn't even know she understood those things. She ended with her testimony and then we shared ours, and it was a BEAUTIFUL moment. Afterward as we left, I hugged her, and then she wouldn't let go. And it was so cute because every time we let go she would just hold on to me and hug me again and she just said "Thank you." It was such a precious moment. I had NEVER known I'd done absolutely ANYTHING for her, but the spirit works in everyone and as quiet as they may be, they just may be changing as we hug them each week, ask how they're doing and if they're reading their Book of Mormon.

We're going to get her to the temple and quick!

So those are the miracles of this week! Love you all and loving it here!

Queen Sister Wilson. hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment