Thursday, January 16, 2014

Week 1. Still alive. Need mail.



Letter from Hermana Kelsi Wilson, Thursday, January 16, 2014; from the MTC in Provo, Utah

HOLA Familia!

Can I just say I just had the funnest 12 minutes of my life reading all those emails? I have no idea why I get to know the FUNNIEST people in the entire world while everyone else in this room is just like crying and typing and stuff. I'm laughing my head off. Anyway. 

This week has been nuts! And when I say nuts I mean THE LONGEST WEEK THAT EVER WAS OR EVER WILL BE on the face of this earth. We didn't get a P day for over a week and every day seriously felt like 12 lifetimes and we're always amazed that the sun moves at the same speed at the MTC as wherever we used to live, I barely even remember. But it's been awesome! The first few days were the hardest things. Everyone was all like "You are going to love the MTC, this place is amazing, welcome, bla bla" and every one of us newbies is like "What are they TALKING about." So for those of you going in soon, know that the first three days are NOT the MTC. They're weird and Satan follows you around. Everyone was breaking down right and left in sobs, besides me because for some reason the female need to sob in public was never planted in me. Anyway.
The first night we got on this bus to go up to main campus (we're at the West MTC in Wyview) and the bus was like all dark with blasting music and streamers and Adele singing and we were so confused. So yeah, the MTC. We have spirit. I still have no idea, but we've gone on that bus a couple of times since.

Sunday EVERYTHING got so incredibly beautiful. It was amazing. We listened to Music and the Spoken Word and family, I want you to go listen to it if it's available since you were probably at church. Mostly just one song and the talk before it - Homeward Bound. It's always been one of my favorites and I just cried while they were singing as I thought about the amazing parents I was blessed with and how you have always pushed me forward and encouraged me to spread my wings and become everything I can be rather than trying to keep me close. I love you! Watch it!

Another thing I wish you could watch is Elder Bednar's MTC devotional from a few years ago called "the Character of Christ." It changed my life. Holy cow. I don't think it's available though. He talked about how at the root of Christ's character is the tendency to turn outward rather than inward, even when things were hard. When He was on the cross He was taking care of His mother. When Satan had tempted Him for days in the mountain as He fasted and He was exhausted, He sent angels to help His friend John the Baptist. And right after He suffered for our sins we see Him healing the guard who's there to kill Him. Over and over we see this tendency, where human nature drives us to focus in on ourselves. But that's when we're miserable! So especially out here I've been trying to learn to think the word "I" as little as possible and turn outward a little more. It's hard but it's something we can all do in time with help!

My Hermanas are wonderful people. They are crazy nice and happy all the time and they love the gospel! They don't think I'm as funny as I do but that's okay I just keep laughing at myself and it works out great. ;) Anyway, I just admire every one of them, especially mi companera who tries harder than anyone I know and is always ready to reach out. The main difference between me and them is that they all have one day a week when they let themselves eat dessert and I have one day a week when I DON'T eat dessert...and then I usually do anyway. The new general saying is "don't leave your food in the fridge, Hermana Wilson will eat it!" That's not true. I don't eat people's food. Just their cookies that are about to go stale. I'm really a very helpful member of society. Don't worry I eat vegetables too mother. But this food is seriously heaven, and who can say no to heaven, that's what I would like to know.

Now, hearken all ye that have ears to hear. This week my companera seriously (no exaggerations) got an average of 3-7 letters EVERY DAY. While I have a running total of one (thanks Dad) as of last night right before bed. (Imagine the scene from Best Two Years...that is my life every day). It's fiiiine and I love the non-distraction but I would just like to introduce you all to the concept of Dearelder.com in which you can take five minutes to get online, type a quick message like "Hello Hermana, I would like to inform you that I am still alive and we remain somewhat friends." (Pick the mission "West Provo MTC".  Enter the unit number: 861, and departure date: February 17) And click send. And then Hermana Wilson receives a magical letter at lunch time that makes her heart sing. Emails were WONDERFUL to receive and I loved every last one but I don't have time to respond and stuff, so it's harder. I also need more addresses because I have time to write letters and I do but then I can't send them. So everyone feel free to send those beautiful things!  I guess it's only been a week but it felt like 10,000 years as I said so I was wondering if everyone had died in that time (which would make sense since nobody lives that long I guess). I LOVE YOU ALL!

Oh also Elder Bednar came over the other night to chill. It was pretty sweet. He gave the strongest testimony of the Book of Mormon I have ever heard besides maybe Elder Holland's that one time. He was talking about all the people who contest that Joseph took more than 90 days to translate the BOM and all that and said "I would give someone 100 years, all the resources in the world, the most intelligent staff and anything else they may want, and they could not produce one single page of the Book of Mormon and the truth it contains." WOW. We seriously almost died of trueness right there in the room. We also got to sing in the MTC choir and be on TV (but not real TV, I think it's only broadcasted to the MTC's) and it zoomed on my face a few times. Not to brag or anything. 

Last thing I have time for! We taught our first investigator almost every day this week. His name's Roberto and he is the best person in the world. Who only speaks Spanish. It was hard because my companera doesn't really speak any so I had to carry it most of the time. But last night the spirit was so strong and both of us were able to just speak (not correctly but still) and convey the message of the Atonement and we were all crying and he wants to be baptized and it was beautiful. So that was an awesome first taste of what the Lord can do for us when we are doing His work! (The investigator is an actor we found out...I think I'm supposed to keep that a secret...but esta bien. We didn't care, he was real to us.)

Anyway, I love you all, I pray for you always! I want a picture of the family and Zari because I don't have any I realized when I got here! Se fuerte!

Hermana Wilson <3

No comments:

Post a Comment