Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Surprises Errday

So this was a fun week of adventures and surprises.  Like, at the end of our planning session Wednesday night we got a text to inform us I had to go to Tuxtla the next day for migration stuff.  Cancel THOSE plans! So we got all my stuff ready and arranged for someone to accompany my compañera all day, only to arrive at the bus station to find two tickets with both our names on them and thirty minutes before departure.  Ahh! So we ran home and grabbed some of her things, ran back, bought chicken and hopped on the bus for the 6 hour ride, leaving all our appointments missionary-less.

We stayed the night with some hermanas in Tuxtla, one of whom was Hermana Oliphant, aka I know her.  We were like...  who are you, where are you from, I know you, OH! I play violin with your brother and used to carpool with your mom.  Cool.  So that was cool!

Next surprise was Saturday when we had an activity with the young single adults and went on splits, meaning I had to direct the area and lead the lessons.  Ah! No sense of direction, hi.  But we didnt even get lost! Probably because I got to be with Pichi and shes from our ward and is this fireball of missionary spirit.  But the next day, surprise number 3, my compañera¨s knee exploded so we left her with a member and I went out with Pamela this time, not from our ward.  She¨s a return missionary, the one who always comes with us on P-days and is AMAZING.  I learned a lot from her, she was so cute with our 80 year old America who has a hard time focusing for more than 2 seconds.  We made it a game to remember the four bases of Christs church.  "The first is prophets." "Prophets!" "And then we need the priesthood." "Priesthood!" "Whats the first one America?" "Oh, I dont remember..." We got to where she could remember all four but when she got to the last one she always said "Revelation! But I dont remember what that is." Completely lost her at apostasy.  We would explain it simply, ask her what it was, and she would respond by throwing up her arms and exclaiming a prayer to the Lord to bless her with sleep at night so her leg would stop hurting.  Okay honey, next visit.  CUTIE.

So on the bus from Tuxtla my filtered water bottle got stolen from the homeless man in front of us.  He was acting all suspicious and ran from the bus and it was gone from under my seat.  Why, I dont know.  So now I cant filter water, but turns out thats not a problem because they¨re shutting off all the water in Tapachula for a week.  Surprise number (what are we on? 4?)!! So we're OH MY GOODNESS I FOUND THE APOSTROPHE not quite sure how that's going to work.  We filled up a huge bin with water from the shower and we just may not be flushing the toilet for a while.  Haha I love this life so much.  I asked my compañera if mission life is always like this month and she's like....  no.

So here's to being robbed of all the random things in our life including water! Luckily we have drinking water since that stuff comes in big bottles you can buy anywhere.

As for investigators, we hope we have a baptism this Saturday! R. (11), one of the niños we are teaching, is ready and excited but his mother is impossible to find and we need her to sign the form.  We're hoping all will go well with that.  We've started teaching the boys separately since they can't handle being seriously cuz they're so dang funny and wonderful.  So Hermana Bastian prepares R. for his baptism and I teach C. (10)  to read and write on the other side of the room, because we found out he has never been to school and doesn't know how, which is halting his progression a ton.  It's hard teaching an alphabet I'm not familiar with in a language I'm still learning but he's making some progress and prayers are helping us a lot.  I LOVE those boys, I think I will miss them most.

So lots of humbling experiences this week having to do what I can't do but I have learned so much and I am never alone.  I know God is real and has such amazing things for us but we can't be what He wants us to be or bless all the lives He wants us to until we become more like Him, and that takes humility, patience, faith, hope, charity, all those attributes.  It's all connected.  Once we can humble ourselves He blesses us with more humility, more faith, and so on.  I know this work is real and moving forward and loving life! Love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment