Monday, March 10, 2014

Tapachula: What the what?

Hola!!

Yeah, so CRAZY things are happening.  Mom you might want to close your eyes for the next two paragraphs (Grandma too) just so you don't get stressed.  Jokes, its fine.  First of all, I don't know if I told you that my iPod is gone.  I know what pocket it was in in my luggage and my companion thinks the airport security guards in Mexico took it.  So that was exciting.  I'm on the hunt for a way to listen to my beautiful MUSIC but Hermana has a ton so we've been okay.

We are also having crazy incidents in our apartment, where a small chunk of my US money disappeared but not all, some Liahonas, and other random things.  We are beyond confused.  And then today, Hermana Bastian's money was stolen.  ALL OF IT.  For the month at least.  And she's the one who pays the rent and everything so it was a lot and we're not sure what we're going to do.  That part wasn't in the apartment, it was in her bag and she set it down in a small shop but we could see it the WHOLE TIME so we have no idea.

And then we locked the keys in the apartment (are we surprised? This is me we're talking about).  It was a joint effort, I forgot the keys and Pamela (our return missionary hermana friend) locked the door.  We called a locksmith who told us it would be 250 pesos and we're like nooooo, okay.  We tried shoving, bobby pins, cards, everything.  But we prayed and prayed and I will tell you I had faith that door was going to open.  I knew it would.  But it didn't yet so we went shopping, bought all our food, and returned home, and I busted in the door in one shove.  Whaaaat! It was a miracle and only a small piece of wood broke off! Haha.  So now we just need one more miracle for all our months money so we don't get kicked out of our apartment or starve or anything.  It'll be fine.

This week we had stake conference and it was so good! It was like an answered prayer, all about missionaries and members working together.  Not just helping each other but joining efforts and doing the work of salvation.  One hermana put it this way, it's scary to talk to our friends or acquaintances about the gospel, but we need to remember that everyone has a testimony, and we have no idea what there's is like, and a lot of times neither do they.  So we have to leave this up to God and do our part.  So I'm challenging y'all (saw this coming right?) to 1) pray for your missionaries and their investigators by name.  2) Pray to know who it is that needs this message in their life and 3) invite your missionaries over and make a game plan.  Let's go, blessings!

I love Tapachula, especially in the evenings when it's warm and beautiful and breezes are flowing and the sky is pink and the streets are quiet and I am just walking through Paradise on sore feet.  I love sore feet.  I love all the hard days and I love laughing with my companion, pushing each other over, picking flowers, teaching her English, being rejected, smiling and doing this work.  I have found so much happiness here and am changing so much.  There's the really hard days too, when smiling is not the first thing you want to do, but I'm working on that losing yourself thing.

To answer some of your questions.  First of all, mail turns out to be almost impossible.  The place to mail is miles away and few missionaries even know how to do it, so don't expect too many handwritten letters from this area.  We receive mail once a month since they don't really have a mail system here, so everything has to go through the mission office and it's 6 hours away.  So the first Wednesday they generally all come in and its the best!

Our ward is about 80 people usually, our area is pretty darn rural, but last week I discovered the STORE and went to heaven.  It's like this big Walmart thing and it's the best.  We take our laundry to the lavenderia and only do it by hand when the washer is broken.  The members  feed us a big meal once a day at 2 pm and we eat random cereal, quesadillas and fruit in the mornings and nights.

I'm short on time but I love each of you and will answer more questions later on! Keep at it, stay strong push on and smile your lives away! 'Til next week!

--Hermana Wilson


No comments:

Post a Comment