Monday, May 5, 2014

Happy Cinco de Mayo?

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Or at least, I thought that's what it was. It is that date and I was pretty excited to see all the parades and taco throwing and pure Mexican bliss, because I am in Mexico right? But turns out it's not even a thing here. I asked, Hey it's 5 de Mayo today isn't it? And everyone is like...yeah..? Isn't that independence day or something? No, that's in September. Today's the day of some war or another, change of subject. And Hermana Wilson is left deflated without a holiday to live up to her Mexican dreams.

But it was a special day anyway! We bought happy clown chocolate marshmallow suckers and went for french fries and ice cream across town with Pamela. Since it might be our last P day together. Who knows. 


"Happy clown chocolate marshmallow treats."  That is what these are.  
You eat them when you're happy or when you want to be happy.  Delicious.

This week was muy bien! We had a goal to bring six people to church and worked all week, inviting and reminding and begging...not really but almost. Our investigators have not been coming to church. We prayed a ton, but all those who we thought for sure would come left town and we were left with the wafflers. So we decided to unwaffle the wafflers, took one of our best weapons (Angeles, our recently-returned less active that is this bright light of gospel joy) and went Saturday night to a couple of our most timid investigators. They felt the spirit and finally we got them to promise to come. Isabel was up and ready at 8:30 when we passed for her and her esposo came an hour later after work. Iván didn't show up which scared us to death since his baptism is this week and he needs one more week at church for it to be authorized, so we sent our investigators to Sunday School with the elders and went with all purpose and fury to Iván's house to bring him. Turns out he had just barely returned from vacation but allowed himself to be dragged back. WHEW. 

This week we were passing the house of our next door neighbors and our 15-year-old Jenny was outside with a friend and waved us over and told us her friend wants to go to EFY but the bishop said he had to have 2 lessons with the missionaries before tomorrow to sign up. Well, okay. I guess we can teach you. We taught him and he agreed to everything, baptism, read his pamphlet the next day during school and had the first vision memorized. Um, I'm sorry what? It's true, we took him for a tour of the church and asked if he knew who was in the picture of Joseph Smith and he related the whole story to us, including Joseph's own words. He is now on his way to baptism but is unfortunately in another ward's boundaries so we're trying to figure out how to get him well-situated over there. 


This week I learned a great lesson about hope and optimism. I'm not a super negative person but at times when things are going wrong I tend to blame myself or focus in the lack of progress, and my companion taught me that that is never going to help us. It's super hard to be so happy when you mess up on something or people aren't following through or you can't see how you're going to fulfill your goals for the week, but it's an act of trust to just be happy. I can't remember if I said something about this last week but I loved President Uchtdorf's talk about gratitude last month, and how we should be grateful, not principally for things but in general. It should be a part of us, because no matter what is happening or not happening in our life, Christ still paid for us, still came, we still have the promise of eternal life and God's work will go forth! We have our families forever and eternal joy if we do what is right. So we should do that, and then be super happy and stop seeing everything through our limited lens. Because there is SO MUCH JOY in this world and in this work.

I love you all and I hope everything's going beautifully! Take so much care, until next week!


Eating ice cream in Mexico.
Today we went on adventures on a bus to the mall and Pollo Campero, some fast food thing 
and got these ice creams and delicious Chipotle chicken sandwiches.
It rained and we laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment