Kelsi Skyping from her "obisbo's" (bishop's) house on Mother's Day.
So I already told you a lot of what happened this week (sorry nonimmediatefamily) but it was a crazy one. We had everything planned beautifully for our baptism of our investigator and he was nervous but ready two days before his baptism with his interview and new pink towel he had bought (haha) and everything. But then Friday he had a trip to Tuxtla with some friends and was going to return the next morning. Well Satan and his temptations came along and we found him Saturday super down and he had been drinking the night before. Hearts broken. But we still had a beautiful baptism of some investigators of the elders and we're working with ours. He's so discouraged but really wants to change so we'll see how round two goes.
Transfers today aaaaaand Hermana Wilson shall STAY in Tapachula while the other three missionaries in the ward are out! How scary. I have to know everything, but now I get to be the favorite that everyone recognizes. Haha. My compaƱera was so sad because she's been here 7 months and has her family here but is off to Cintalapa. So tonight I get a new companion and new adventures and such scary stuff.
This week the bugs have utterly and positively ATTACKED my life. My legs are always covered in bites and I'm really bad at not scratching, so that was nothing new. But in my studies a few times this week suddenly my desk was swarming with huge ants and then I have to interrupt 3 Nephi to massacre. And then one day this HUGE golfball ant thing with dragonfly wings waltzed into our room. We just watched it walk back and forth and didn't do anything because what in the world IS it? Later we found out people eat them here and they're supposed to be delicious. Missed out on that chance. Next time.
The rains are fun. The other day we got caught in the pouring rain in an investigator's house and he gave us a huge sheet of plastic to hold over the three of us (Jenny was with us) and I got to experience what it was like for Harry Potter and friends to get around in their cloak.
I told my family already how one day in the rains when it was absolutely crazy and pouring my name tag was gone and got washed away. NOO! But then the next day our investigator handed it to me. He found it in the street! Whaaa? Such is mission life. Nothing better.
I'm loving it out here and I want to share [a] spiritual thought from Elder Merrill I read in his email this week because I really liked it, it made me think.
2 Nephi 10:20 And now, my beloved brethren, seeing that our merciful God has given us so great knowledge concerning these things, let us remember him, and lay aside our sins, and not hang down our heads, for we are not cast off; nevertheless, we have been driven out of the land of our inheritance; but we have been led to a better land, for the Lord has made the sea our path, and we are upon an isle of the sea.
I was thinking of it symbolically for me, and I was thinking about how it's really easy to be comfortable where we're at spiritually. We have our "Land of inheritance" of where we are right now. But to follow Christ, we must always improve, "laying aside our sins" knowing that we are being led to "a better land," a better life.
I really loved thinking about this and how the Lord has a better plan for us always and sometimes when we think He's not answering our prayers or that He doesn't care about our little problems, it may be because He wants us to stop caring so much about our little problems. Maybe He wants us to want something more.
For example, as much as I want and prayed for our baptism with our investigator to happen this week, I couldn't let my faith and gratitude depend on whether it happened or not because I needed to trust that He knew better. And even though wanting a baptism for this man was a good thing to want, He wanted me to want something better, like for His will to come to pass. If we want THAT more, trust Him always, and then go where He takes us, He will ALWAYS lead us to that better land and we will be so much happier and able to bless others. Love you all and keep at it!
No comments:
Post a Comment